Thursday, July 5, 2012

Samsung Galaxy SII i777 (AT&T)

Sorry I've been away for a bit folks. Between preparations for the holiday and playing with a new toy I recently picked up, I've been all out of spare time. Speaking of the holiday, I hope everyone had a great one! Now, onward to the geek stuff.

So I had been using an iPhone 3GS since my iPhone 4 crapped out on me a while back. Ok, so I dropped it in the river but let us not talk about that... *twitch*

I had been shopping around for a while trying to decide what to get when I was eligible for an upgrade. I had been bouncing back and forth between the One X and waiting for the Galaxy SIII. I played with a live demo of the One X in a couple of stores and it was pretty bad ass. Then one of the reps recommended I check out the Galaxy SII that they currently had on sale. After messing around with it for a bit I realized that it was, for the most part, all the phone I really needed. It had recently had Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) released for it which was a bonus. It runs a dual-core processor, has plenty of onboard memory and storage, an outstanding camera, etc. So I decided I would give it a shot. I always have 30 days to return it if it sucks, right? So here it is, the Samsung Galaxy SII (i777):


Samsung Galaxy SII
Samsung Galaxy SII


It is just a bit smaller than the One X and the HTC Vivid which was another phone that was in the running to be my next purchase. After a few days of playing with it I really have zero complaints. It is incredibly thin, very light, and the battery life is excellent. Plus if I ever get tired of Ice Cream Sandwich I can always throw CyanogenMod or another custom ROM on there.

If any of you are looking for a new phone, I would highly recommend the Samsung Galaxy SII. It is available on most carriers and since the Galaxy SIII is coming out soon you should be able to find it for a really good price.

Now, can anyone recommend some good Android apps for me? I've been using an iPhone for the past year or so. Haven't had much chance to check out the Android stuff lately.

18 comments:

  1. I don't know any Android apps but the phone sounds pretty cool. Plus you're getting away from Apple, which is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mate got this phone and I got his HTC wildfire which was a big upgrade for me:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, I might just check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh. if only I can afford this thing :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may be the only person that doesn't understand the fascination with smart phones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're just so convenient. This thing will do pretty much everything I need. It takes the place of (in most cases) my laptop and digital camera and it fits in my pocket.

      Delete
  6. My policy is still, if phone doesn't break, don't get a new one. I own a Nokia, FUUUUUUUUuuuuuuu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Geek's Paradise, dude. Unjustifiable electronics purchases are what we do here!

      Delete
  7. I dont hate Samsung, but I hate Android and hated even SONY tablet for same reason - Android.

    I have HTC windows, not great but next to Iphone, I would prefer a reliable OS than the opensource Android.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think my younger bro has this phone, therefore he doesnt let me touch it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got the II and barely use it haha, just to call and such.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eh, I'm good with my Droid 3 for now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The S2 is still a really nice phone.

    I recently picked up a One X myself after having problems with my One S.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love new toys! and with regards to the river and your old phone, they just need to invent the water proof phone. so it's not your fault!

    ReplyDelete