Friday, June 1, 2012

Co-worker's computer crashes, epic frustration ensues.

So I got to work Tuesday looking forward to a short week due to the long holiday weekend. My optimism was short lived though. Shortly after arriving at the office I was informed that one of our design computers had shat itself over the weekend. When I tried to boot it up I was greeted with this:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
Reboot and Select proper Boot device

Now, first let me explain why I am the one who was informed of this problem. While I am merely the lowly graphic designer here, I spent over 10 years as an IT Manager/Computer Tech/Network Administrator for various companies.

Tech Support
Tech Support

I mistakenly included this information on my resume. So now I get to take care of all of the little computer issues that come up around here.


I get to work around 8am every morning. The guy who the troubled computer belongs to gets here around 7am. So I ask him what happened. He said he had shut down his computer Friday afternoon and when he got there Tuesday morning and tried to boot it up, the Boot device message came up. It was a little something like this:


Right. Ok, so I go through the various troubleshooting steps. Popped into the Bios to see what was up. The drive was being detected. Kinda. It was showing the wrong capacity and the name of the drive was "@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@". Pretty awesome, huh?



I went through a few trial and error routines and was getting the same result each time. So, not wanting to spend more time on it than necessary I just chalked it up to a dead hard drive and decided to order another one. If I was wrong? I've got an extra hard drive. No harm, no foul. So I order a Solid State Drive, a 2.5"-3.5" adapter, and new cables. Yesterday morning it finally came in so I popped in the new drive, got everything connected, tossed in the Windows XP CD, fired it up and got everything installed and it was running like a champ.


So I get to work this morning and am told to go check out the same computer again. I get upstairs and see this:



...


Ok, so it turns out it wasn't the drive. After more intensive tests I chalked it up to a dying motherboard. Yes, this is the generic tech diagnosis when we have no fucking clue what is wrong. But you know what? Fuck that computer. I hated it anyway. It was too old and too slow. Besides, I have my suspicions that there were more serious and threatening issues here anyway.



Anyway. So today I ordered a new barebones system to put together as a replacement.


It has an Intel i7-2600K processor, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD hard drive, etc. etc. Compared to what it is replacing it is a fucking beast. When I told dude he was FINALLY getting a new computer, he reacted just as I thought he would.



So, yeah, that has pretty much been my week.

4 comments:

  1. This reminds me of my daily battle with my work laptop...I so wish I could just use my personal laptop instead

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had a big problem with my computer too with the blue screen of death, luckily I managed to figure it out though. My best friend was in IT so whenever he meets someone the eventual topic of computers comes up and he informs them. He said the same thing though, everyone always comes to him for fixing computers and its the most annoying thing in the world LOL. It always sucks when the computer breaks but then there's that moment when you're like well...I could always buy a new awesome amazing badass computer, not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is one beast computer, when all hope is lost, just buy a new rig, haha.

    ReplyDelete